Thursday, December 04, 2008

A Cup of Java...

During most of my running clinics, the subject of caffeine is frequently raised. "Is there any benefit from taking coffee before a race?" someone will ask. My answer has always been: "It gets me to the line."

I have never been a scientist about caffeine. I have ignored the evidence pro and con. Drinking coffee or some other caffeine-containing drink has always been the way I jump start my engine in the morning. Life does not get under way until my first cup of coffee in the morning.

On race day, my standard operating procedure is coffee on arising, followed by a diet cola on the drive to the race. Runners have been described as people with energy, dedication and discipline. I like to think I share in those qualities - but not before my cup of coffee. Coffee takes me out of my drowsy half-awakened state and transforms me into a person eager to get on with the heroic quest.

Coffee lovers are familiar with these matutinal effects. And that first cup drunk, the world is ready to be conquered and I am equal to the task.

These psychological effects of caffeine cannot be denied. It does away with what the psychologists call "task aversion." I am no longer thinking of reasons not to run this race. I am willing and wanting to join my friends at the starting line of this agony-to-be.





The Complete Essey "A Cup of Java"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home